Making beautiful fresh pasta at home
Large pinch of salt
4 Free range eggs
1. On the board tip on the flour and make a small well in the middle. I don't normally beat the eggs first.
2. Crack all four eggs into the well and add a generous pinch of salt.
3. Use your fingers to start combining the eggs into the flour, then work it in to a ball. Work the dough once formed for about 7 minutes, until silky and smooth. You can use a dough hook on your mixer, but i love making pasta by hand.
4. Leave the dough on the board and cover it with a clean tea towel or tip a bowl over it so the air doesn't get in, and leave for half an hour to rest.
5. Set the pasta machine up. Cut the dough ball in half.
6. Feed the first half through the pasta machine. Feed it through the machine about 10 times, until it is thin, (the Italians say that you should be able to read a newspaper through the pasta sheet).
7. Once the pasta has passed through the machine and is a thin sheet, you can then go ahead and make your pasta of choice.