Virtually fat-free Chocolate and Pecan Brownies recipe
3/4 cup Plain Flour
3/4 cup Caster Sugar
1/2 cup Cocoa Powder (I prefer Green and Blacks)
1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
1/2 cup Chopped Pecans (or any other nuts optional)
1/2 cup good quality dark Chocolate Chips
1 cup Plain Yogurt (I used low fat but you can use fat free)
1/2 cup Water
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C for 15 minutes. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch square pan and line it with foil or baking paper, leaving some extra hanging around the edges so that it is easy to lift the brownie.
2. In a large microwave bowl melt the chocolate chips. It took about 45 seconds for the chocolate to melt. Do not set the time all at once, melt it in increments of 15-20 seconds because the cooking time in microwave ovens differ from one to another.
Use a whisk to stir the melted chocolate to see that its smooth. Let this stand for a minute or two.
3. To the melted chocolate add the yogurt and sugar; mix until combined.
4. Sift flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and nuts (if using) and stir until just combined.
5. To this mixture add water and stir carefully until the batter comes together. This batter looked more like a cake batter.
6. Bake the brownies between 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with moist cake crumbs on... to retain the fudgey texture you don't want a clean toothpick!
7. Remove the pan from the oven and leave it on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes carefully lift the foil/paper and let the brownies cool completely before you can cut it. If you don't use the foil/paper the cooling time will be much longer.