Northamptonshire Food and Drink Awards 2010/11... and the winner is


What can I say.... an amazing evening!


Yes, that's me with Sophie Grigson and Jason Atherton!!

It started back in June when I entered my Chocolate Surprise Cupcake and my Raspberry Cupcake into the Northamptonshire Food and Drink Awards. Judging took place in August and the Chocolate one was shortlisted. Final judging was at the Holdenby Food Show on August Bank Holiday weekend. I made over 100 mini chocolate cupcakes for the public to try, they then had to vote (out of 10 I think) for their favourite. Among the judging panel were celebrity chef and best selling cookery author Sophie Grigson and Adam Gray, Michelin starred Executive Chef at Rhodes TwentyFour in London.

On to the Awards dinner which was held on Wednesday 6th October. None of the winners/runners up knew how they had done, it had been kept a massive secret with only a select few knowing the result!

When they read out the shortlist my stomach was doing somersaults... first they announced the runner-up as Brixworth Pate. At this point I thought there was no way I could beat that, the pate has been known in Northamptonshire for years!

Then Sophie opened the next envelope... at this point she stopped to say when her and Adam had seen this they had both thought 'oh no, not these, they're everywhere' but then went on to say how impressed she had been with it.

And the winner is....

"Chocolate Surprise Cupcake by Angelina Cupcake"
(that's me... aaagghhhh!!!)

On the way over I'd been practising a speech (just in case) but I'm so glad I never had to say anything... it took all my effort just to get the words 'thank you' out!

The rest of the evening was a bit blurry. And no, not because I had drank too much of the lovely Champs D'Amour, I think I had two glasses but could have easily managed more. A stunning meal was served, cooked by Adam Gray himself. We had a starter of baked beetroot with Northamptonshire red wine dressing, followed by Northamptonshire venison loin with wild mushroom and truffle pie and creamed pumpkin, dessert was apple mousse with Northamptonshire cider-glazed apples and spiced raisins, finished off with (my new fave) Andronicas coffee and lovely local chocolates.

It really was a fantastic, memorable evening!




So thank you, thank you, thank you if you voted for me and big thanks to the team at Rachel Mallows for their support.



Julie x





 

Comments

Popular Posts